Wednesday, August 8, 2007

An (SQL c)ode to DM, With Love!

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Aug 5 16:17:26 2007
Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options.


SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Aug 5 16:17:26 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

Generate the following stored procedure.

SQL> Somehow I wasn’t up to it.
It’s not that I was prepared for it or that I wasn’t expecting it.
But it felt remotely weird, and kind of disconnected.
Believe me; it was like that for just a fraction of a second.
The next moment, I was taken aback with a shock of having felt a live wire.
Suddenly as if the gripping spell had been released I felt the screaming silence flow inside my pitch black mind which was already foggy and totally unready for any more mugging by then. So I gave up thinking hard to strain the millions of nerves that ran across the grey cells connecting each other in a peculiar fashion to instruct and perceive sensory audio-visual orders.
Shhppt.
I snapped it off right there.
Blank.

I was looking at her face and it shone beautifully yet strangely in that dim lit living room of hers.

“So……” said she.

“Hmm… So….” Said I.

“Yedavadhu sollu Saloni” she said finally after a long pause.

“Yenna sollradhunu theriyala” I said staring at the small cobwebs that had formed at the corner where the fridge stood with its back against the wall face glaring at me.

Both of us let out a helpless laugh making sure not to look into each others eyes in the process as it might definitely lead to instant and unmistakable tear-flow; which both of us wanted to avoid. After all being 25 and working in the software industry for more than 3 years gave us that stamina I guess.

Generate Command:

SQL> ROLLBACK;
Rollback complete.

[One day, One hour, One minute and fifty one seconds ago:]

Exceute the following Stored Procedure:

SQL>

“Wow, you don’t seem to have put on even an iota from what I saw you 5 months ago” chirped I cheerfully looking at DM in front of that dingy super market.

She had come down to India for a measly fortnights’ vacation that her office had generously offered her with. Nevertheless, I must consider myself to be lucky that I was very much available and was able to meet and spend some time with her, so no complaints there pal!

As usual and as always is the case with me, whenever I got to spend valuable time with my family/friends, my work always interjects, objects and oppresses me and leaves me totally anchored to my seat in front of the maddening 14” monitor, having to wait for the overseas dawn and wish my onsite a pleasant morning and present the updates for the day and run-away hastily cringing and cribbing at the 1&1/2 hours time difference that’s more of an agony almost all the time of course except for those times that I enjoyed these myself when I was living in CST for nearly half-an-year.

Anyways, that very day DM was traveling back to U.S to resume work and I had decided that I would catch-up with her as much as I can and was able to make it only by 7pm when she was to head towards airport by 10.30pm.

The next day was her birthday, what a sick thing it’s got to be to travel all the 22hours of your birthday. Hey DM, no offense meant. But that thought just sent in an upchuck movement in my insides. Again, maybe only one in a million gets such a chance… to be on a flight the entire day, 25 years after you were born, in a very optimistic sense.

Yes, off with those stupid sms wishers, phone call wishers, email wishers, egreeting wishers, bouquet wishers, orkut/blog wishers, lunch/breakfast/dinner wishers and what not’s?!

For once, Just for once…. You don’t have to strain your mouth saying “Thank You” or your fingers typing “Thanks for your wishes” Or take people on “Lunch Treats” get spattered with the cake all over your face and get your bums swollen with the sweet-birthday-bums you would be gifted by your roommates and best friends, most importantly, For once, nor do you have to keep that plastic smile all day long as though you are a mannequin in a cloths’ boutique; just coz its your freaking birthday. Why don’t people get a life and give the world a break, a break from the menacing routine that has gotten to levels of sickeningly nauseating and irksome. Although there might be many who would counter argue stating that you get to have the world’s probably longest birthday ever; thanks to the time zones!

I envy you DM. Truly, Sincerely and Honestly. I wish I get to have such a birthday far, far away from everyone I - know, want, love, like and every other thing that is there to it.

I wanted to talk a lot to you when I met you here in India after a long time. But I have no clue at all as to what the heck went wrong with my vocal chords for they remained rolled and twisted, and in loss for words most of the time; So much UNLIKE me!


I wouldn’t have believed this from anyone about me keeping mum, but as I remember every inch of our meeting; I believe its not my alter-ago or any supernatural double or duplicate of mine that met you instead of me.

I missed her terribly; I wanted to talk to her loads. We were sitting right next to each other. There was no-one who would stop us from talking to each other. There was no-one who would don’t talk so much to DM, nor would DM mind if I spoke so much after all she had known me for 10years now. Albeit all these and many more to add I just couldn’t break the unidentifiable ice berg that had formulated between us unknowingly.


PL/SQL completed successfully.

Generate Command:-
SQL> Commit;
Commit complete.


“Seri, Appo na Kelambaren da… Unakku yedavadhu venumna sollu”, I got up from my seat.

“Illa, Salo onnum perusa illa pack panna, Na mudichitten. Nane onnu onna poi chips-gips nu vangittu vandhuttu irrukken kalaila irundhu. So I am done.”

I gave her the card and a small gift that I had bought for her and shook her hand wishing her a happy birthday.

Then I waved at her, with tears trembling to fall from the edge of my eyes, I turned away instantly and got my bike to life and fled as fast as I could from that place.

Generate Stored Procedure:
SQL> Miss You, very much DM!

Generate Command:
SQL> commit;
Commit complete.

Generate Command:

SQL> Exit;

2 comments:

Enchanted Mind said...

Lucky are ones who share such friendships. It adds meaning to otherwise mystical lfe !

Dont they say, the bst of the moments are spent in silence just next to each other?

Silly Sally said...

True..... But it sometimes hurts that you have lost those precious moments spending in silence...